Public invited to attend in-person for the first time since March 2020
The Central Arizona Water Conservation District Board of Directors (CAWCD) convened in Tucson on Thursday, Oct.7, 2021 for its October 2021 Board meeting. CAWCD Board President Terry Goddard called the meeting to order with the majority of the Board Members in-person and the remainder participating virtually. This is the first time the public has been in attendance in person since March 2020. Face coverings were required for all attending. The remote meeting was not livestreamed, as most Board meetings are, but a recording is available here.
As the meeting was in Tucson, the Board was addressed by Wally Wilson, water resources manager, Metro Water, regarding the Lower Santa Cruz River Basin Study, which is of particular interest to the Tucson area.
After a presentation by the Finance, Audit & Power Committee, the Board approved additional spending authority for the captive insurance fund in the amount of $403,000.
On the consent agenda, the Board approved:
- Equipment purchase contract for motor exciter replacements at Twin Peaks, Sandario, Snyder Hill and Black Mountain Pumping Plants
- Construction contract for programmable logic controllers at Waddell Pumping Plant
- Professional services contract for SCADA standards development
- Amended enrollment documents for Ellsworth Ranch (FKA Circle G at Ellsworth Estates) regarding membership in the CAGRD
Finally, the Board heard presentations on:
- Colorado River conditions
- Report on Irrigation Efficiency Projects with N-Drip
- Binational Exchange Framework Implications
The CAWCD Board of Directors is a popularly elected, 15-member board. Ten members are from Maricopa County, four from Pima County and one from Pinal. Members serve six-year, unpaid terms. The board typically meets publicly the first Thursday of each month to establish policy and set rates and taxes for CAP.