Board approves $5 million System Use Reserve for System Use Agreement purposes
The Central Arizona Water Conservation District Board of Directors (CAWCD) convened today for its January 2020 meeting.
The board approved a $5 million special-purpose System Use Reserve to be used for expenses relating to the System Use Agreement, such as a System Improvement Study. Once wheeling contracts are issued, the initial funding will be reimbursed by the wheeling parties. The reserve does not require any additional funding or rate impact, as it will be transferred from the Strategic Reserves.
During the Public Policy Committee report, the board adopted a position of support on the discussion draft regarding the Direct Distribution of Arizona Water Banking Authority (AWBA) Long-Term Storage Credits. Board Vice President Goddard and Secretary Megdal also presented updates from the Finance, Audit and Power and Central Arizona Groundwater Replenishment District (CAGRD) committees.
CAP staff members provided updates on:
- 2019 Outage Work Activities – including impressive photos and videos of CAP’s amazing infrastructure
- Report on AZ Solar 1 Project – reviewing operations for CAP’s 30 MW Power Purchase Agreement with a solar generation facility in Salome, Ariz., which is now providing energy for CAP’s scheduling and use
- Pinal AMA Activities – including an overview of the Arizona Department of Water Resources’ groundwater modeling, the Eloy and Maricopa-Stanfield Basin Study and the Pinal AMA Water Supply Stakeholder Group
- Colorado River conditions – Colorado River water supply and update on weather modification
- 2019 Water Operations Update and 2020 Water Operations Plan – operations update regarding CAP’s Colorado River diversions, water deliveries and Lake Pleasant operations
The CAWCD Board of Directors is a popularly elected, 15-member board. Ten members are from Maricopa County, four from Pima County and one from Pinal. Members serve six-year, unpaid terms. The board typically meets publicly the first Thursday of each month to establish policy and set rates and taxes for CAP.