The CAWCD Board met Thursday, May 5 at CAP Headquarters in north Phoenix. The Board approved several items related to finances, taxes and rates. After much discussion and public comment, the Board approved the 2023-2028 Preliminary Rate Schedule with adjustments to change the 2023 Energy Rate from $61 per acre-foot to $65 per acre-foot; the 2023 Fixed O&M rate from $110 per acre-foot to $115 per acre-foot; and the 2024 Capital Charge from $57 per acre-foot to $53 per acre-foot.
The Board also took the following actions:
- Fixed the General Ad Valorem Tax Rate at ten cents per one hundred dollars of assessed valuation for the 2022/23 tax year.
- Fixed the Water Storage Tax Rate at four cents per one hundred dollars of assessed valuation for the 2022/23 tax year. The Board also approved a resolution determining that all of the Water Storage Tax levied in tax year 2022/23 be required for CAP repayment or annual operations, maintenance and replacement costs including CAWCD rates for the Arizona Water Bank Authority Municipal & Industrial firming.
- Adopted Reserve Management Guidelines
- Approved revised Targets for Reserves (Strategic Reserve — $161 million, Working Capital — $89 million, Extraordinary Cost Reserve — $281 million)
- Authorized the collection of CAGRD Membership Dues during Tax Year 2022/2023 and adopted the Preliminary CAGRD Rate Schedule for 2022/23 through 2027/28 with adjustments to match the CAWCD Rate Schedule
- Adopted the Preliminary Underground Water Storage Rates Schedule for 2023-2028
In addition, the Board approved two items on the consent agenda:
Finally, the Board heard presentations regarding Colorado River Conditions and 2023 Shortage Preparations.
The CAWCD Board of Directors is a popularly elected, 15-member board. Ten members are from Maricopa County, four from Pima County and one from Pinal. Members serve six-year, unpaid terms. The board typically meets publicly the first Thursday of each month to establish policy and set rates and taxes for CAP. Meetings are open to the public – in person and via livestream.
KRA: Public Trust, Partnerships & Leadership